Sunday, November 21, 2010

Week 46: Review

Fortunately, I didn't run into any further problems this week so I'm working on ramping myself back up to my maintenance mileage. Swimming is a little light as I took it easy for my first session back, but my Running is pretty much where I wanted it. My cycling is significantly off this week, but this time of year is always dodgy and the weather just hasn't let me get out as much as I should. It's getting to the point where I need to consider switching over to the trainer, but as I hate riding indoors I've been resisting that as long as there is a glimmer of hope for good weather.

With that said, winter is certainly on it's way and this morning was a good example of that. When I was getting ready to head out for my 11 miler, it was snowing and the weather station was reading -2C. As such, for the first time this season I had to forget about the shorts and put on something a little warmer :( When I headed out, that appeared to be a good decision as the wind was bitter and it reminded me that I'm still not acclimated to the cold we'll likely be seeing in the coming weeks.

When I hit the turnaround point, however, things started to get a bit warm. The sun had brought the temperatures up a bit, and with the wind now at my back the warm clothes were starting to overheat me. I thought about taking off the headband at least, but with my ears now covered in sweat I figured that wouldn't be wise given the ambient temperatures. As such, I fought through the remaining distance and ended up getting home a sweaty mess.

Unfortunately, there wasn't a whole lot that I could do about it as if I'd worn anything less I likely would have frozen on the first half of the run. When the deep cold comes it's easy enough to take off layers to work around issues like this, but with these moderately cool temperatures I don't have that flexibility. Getting a pair of leg and arm warmers would likely be the best solution to this sort of situation, as it would allow me to combine them with the shorts/T-Shirt combo and just pull them down when it got too cold.

Week 46 Totals:
Running: 44.5km (27.7mi)
Walking: 2.3km (1.4mi)
Cycling: 22.4km (13.9mi)
Swimming: 7.3km (4.5mi)
Total: 76.5km (47.5mi)

Year to Date:
Running: 1985.1km (1233.5mi)
Walking: 88.0km (54.7mi)
Cycling: 4359.6km (2708.9mi)
Swimming: 297.1km (184.6mi)
Total: 6729.8km (4181.7mi)

In other news, I've pretty much decided to take up my friend's offer and make the upgrade from my EDGE 705 to the new 800. After a lot of research, the new features appear to be compelling enough to make the jump and most of the downsides appear to be mitigated by other factors. I'll likely be picking up the new unit early this week so that I can (hopefully) take it outside before mother nature forces me indoors on the bike ;) If things go as planned, I will have both units for a few weeks so I might make up a post on their comparative performance while I have the chance. There are some really great reviews on the unit itself out there, but not a whole lot directly comparing these two devices.

No comments:

Post a Comment