Saturday, January 16, 2010

Core Strength

Just a quick update here, as I've been off of my normal routine due to a minor back injury and am just getting back into it at this point. A week ago Friday I got up with a bit of a sore back, and while it didn't feel like much at the time it ended up getting a lot worse part way through my speedwork session later in the day. To be safe, I've been resting it for most of the week and only did a short and very easy run on Thursday. It appears to be better now, however I'm going to ease back into things to make sure of that.

When I started swimming on a regular basis, I started cutting down on the core strength exercises that I was doing prior to that. That was primarily due to time constraints, however I figured that the upper body aspect of swimming would make up for that. Unfortunately, while it is great for the upper back it doesn't do a whole lot for the core muscles and it's obvious that it wasn't enough ;) While I've never been a fan of strength training (or any indoor exercise for that matter), I'm going to have to get back into the practice of mixing it in so as to avoid issues like this in the future.

Week 1 Totals:
Running: 24.6km (15.3mi)
Walking: 1.3km (0.8mi)
Cycling: 0.0km (0.0mi)
Swimming: 8.6km (5.3mi)
Total: 34.5km (21.4mi)

Year to Date (as of Jan 10th):
Running: 48.7km (30.3mi)
Walking: 1.1km (0.7mi)
Cycling: 0.0km (0.0mi)
Swimming: 8.6km (5.3mi)
Total: 58.4km (36.3mi)


Unfortunately, this was supposed to be the first week of my Marathon training program and that's largely gone up in smoke. Either way, the first week is relatively light so I should be able to make it up - but worst case scenario I can always switch over to the 12 week program.

Adding to the complexity, while I had planned to give the bike a try yesterday the rear tube appears to have blown in the intervening week so I'll have to bring that in to get replaced before I can restart on that front. Not a huge deal, as I have to bring it in anyway to get the aerobars fitted and cyclocomputer installed - will just have to get it done sooner than later ;)

This Week:
Mon Rest
Tue Rest
Wed Rest
Thurs 4mi Recovery
Fri Rest
Sat 4mi Recovery
Sun 6mi Recovery

No comments:

Post a Comment