Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Week 33: Review

Like last week, this one saw some significant disruptions due to a mixture of vacation scheduling and weather. As I was out of town for Tuesday and Wednesday, I ended up having to move things around. Given the mileage I was looking at this week, I had no choice but to skip Tuesday's 7 miler and push Wednesday's 12 miler back to Thursday. I was able to get Friday's 10 mile tempo run in, however the combination of those two runs left me pretty wiped.

When the weekend came around, there was the threat of extremely hot weather (40C (104F) with humidex) on Sunday when I had my first 20 miler scheduled. Normally, I would have switched the Saturday and Sunday runs around to deal with this, but with the two heavy runs on the days before that simply wasn't practical. Monday's weather was going to be a little better (more rain, but slightly less heat), so I elected to do Saturday's recovery run as scheduled and simply push back the 20 miler a day.

That ended up being a mistake, as Monday worked out to be about the same temperature as Sunday. Long story short, I ended up having to call it quits with a little under 9K to go, which further hurt my mileage total for the week and took out one of the critical 20 milers. Either way, I've got a marathon pace run coming up next week and another 20 miler the week after that so hopefully I'll be able to get back on track.

Either way, the Thursday and Friday runs went extremely well so I did get some good training in one way or the other. I did lose a good deal of potential cycling mileage due to the changes in my running schedule, as well as one of my swimming days - but running is still my highest priority right now so those sports take a back seat. Fortunately, I did manage to get the 100km group ride in on Monday, so that offset the losses on other days quite a bit.

Weekly Totals:
Running: 66.5km (41.3mi)
Walking: 2.9km (1.8mi)
Cycling: 121.2km (75.3mi)
Swimming: 2.8km (1.7mi)
Total: 193.4km (120.2mi)

Year to Date:
Running: 1,787.3km (1,110.6mi)
Walking: 193.4km (120.2mi)
Cycling: 2,807.3km (1,744.4mi)
Swimming: 23.2km (14.4mi)
Total: 4,811.2km (2,989.5mi)

Due to the long run yesterday, I've had to make some modifications to this week to avoid any problems. As I felt that it was important to get a recovery day in after such a grueling run, I wanted to stick to swimming and cycling today. Unfortunately, the weather made the cycling impossible but I was able to get a good swimming session in. To step back into it, I'll be doing today's 6 miler with the group tomorrow, and will do the mid-week 14 miler on Thursday. To ensure adequate recovery time, I'm planning on skipping Thursday's 6 miler and then continuing on with the plan as described.

This week is expected to continue being pretty hot and humid, although nothing compared to what we had over the last couple of days. Hopefully things will cool off in the next week, as the majority of this summer has had some pretty nice temperatures and I'm not a big fan of having to slog through more of this humidity. With that said, after the rain finishes up today the remainder of the week is expected to be pretty stable so I will welcome some more dry weather (and the ability to do things as planned).

Upcoming Week:
Tue 2.5K Swim
Wed 30K Ride, 6mi (9.6K) Recovery
Thurs 14mi (22.5K) LSD, 2.8K Swim
Fri 50K Ride
Sat 100K Group Ride, 6mi Recovery w/6x100m
Sun 16mi (25.7K) LSD w/12mi (19.3K) at Marathon Pace

No comments:

Post a Comment